How to buy mutual funds from Thrivent

We’re delighted you’re considering Thrivent Mutual Funds. No matter how you buy, we’re here to help you invest with confidence.

Buy online through Thrivent Funds

You can open an account and purchase funds right on our site.

Why buy online?

  • Set up an account starting with as little as $50 per month1
  • Access your online account at your convenience.
  • Purchase funds without transaction fees or sales charges.


Buy through a financial professional

Need more guidance? Ask your financial professional about Thrivent Mutual Funds.

Why work with a financial professional?

  • Receive investment help from an experienced professional.
  • Build a relationship through in-person meetings.
  • Get help planning for life’s goals such as saving and retirement.

Additional fees may apply, when working with a financial professional.


Buy through an investment account

Our funds can be purchased through other online brokerage platforms. Search for Thrivent Mutual Funds when making your selections.

Why buy through a brokerage account?

  • Add Thrivent Mutual Funds to investments within your existing portfolio.
  • Take advantage of your account to keep your investments in one place.

Additional fees may apply.


Not quite ready?

We want you to invest your money wisely and with confidence. Here are some other options that may help you.


Need more help?

Call or email us.

M-F, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. CT
Say “mutual funds" for faster service. or,
Visit our support page


New accounts with a minimum investment amount of $50 are offered through the Thrivent Mutual Funds "automatic purchase plan." Otherwise, the minimum initial investment requirement is $2,000 for non-retirement accounts and $1,000 for IRA or tax-deferred accounts, minimum subsequent investment requirement is $50 for all account types. Account minimums for other options vary.

Now leaving


You're about to visit a site that is neither owned nor operated by Thrivent Mutual Funds.

In the interest of protecting your information, we recommend you review the privacy policies at your destination site.

IRA contribution, penalties, and distribution tax FAQs

If I am age 50 or older, can I make a catch-up contribution to my IRA?

If you are age 50 or older by the end of the calendar year, you may contribute an additional $1,000 to your traditional or Roth IRA for that calendar year.

What should I do if my IRA contribution exceeded the maximum amount allowed?

A 6% excise tax may be assessed on an excess contribution if it remains in the IRA after the tax filing deadline plus extensions. If you file your tax return on time, you'll have an automatic six-month extension to make the withdrawal. If removed before tax filing deadline plus extensions, the excess contribution is not taxable. The earnings, however, are taxable in the year the excess contribution was made. If under age 59½, the earnings are also subject to a 10% premature distribution penalty unless an exception applies.

What happens if I don't remove the excess contribution and earnings in a timely manner?

If the excess contribution and earnings are not removed in a timely manner, the 6% excise tax will apply for the year the excess occurred and all subsequent years until the excess is either withdrawn or utilized as a contribution.

How is my traditional IRA distribution taxed?

Generally, traditional IRA distributions are taxable as ordinary income in the year withdrawn. If you made nondeductible contributions, you must complete IRS Form 8606 to determine the nontaxable portion of each distribution.

If you receive a distribution before age 59½, a 10% IRS early distribution penalty could apply to the distribution unless you meet one of the exceptions under Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 72(t). See the IRS Form 1099-R for more information.

Are there any exceptions to the 10% IRS early distribution penalty?

The IRS allows several exceptions to the 10% IRS early distribution penalty if you receive a distribution from your IRA before age 59½.

  • Death
  • Disability
  • Series of substantially equal periodic payments based on life expectancy
  • Qualified higher-education expenses
  • Qualifying first-time home buyer expenses (Lifetime maximum of $10,000)
  • Deductible medical expenses
  • Health insurance premiums for unemployed individuals
  • Distributions because of IRS levy
  • Qualified birth or adoption*

See IRS Form 5329 for more information on how to report an exception to the 10% IRS early distribution penalty.

What is a required minimum distribution (RMD) and will it be taxed?

In general, the IRS requires you to start taking a minimum amount from your qualified retirement accounts starting the year you turn age 72 to ensure the money saved is used for what it was intended – to fund your retirement. However, if you turned 70½ in 2019 or prior, take your RMDs as scheduled.

Your RMDs are typically taxed as ordinary income in the years you receive them. Unless you specify otherwise on your election form, 10% of your distribution will automatically be withheld as prepayment of federal income tax. (State withholding may also apply, depending on the product(s) owned and the state where you live.) The penalty for failure to meet your RMD is 50% of the amount not taken for that year. Roth IRAs do not have an RMD requirement during the owner's lifetime.

As a beneficiary of an IRA, how are my distributions taxed?

Traditional IRA distributions are taxable to the beneficiary as ordinary income for the year of the distribution. This distribution qualifies as an exemption to the 10% IRS early distribution penalty, regardless of the age of the beneficiary or deceased owner. The penalty for failure to meet your RMD is 50% of the amount not taken for that year. See IRS Publication 590-B—Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs) for more information.

How is my Roth IRA distribution taxed?

You must treat all your Roth IRAs as a single Roth IRA for purposes of determining the tax treatment of your distribution(s). All distributions are deemed to come from: Roth IRA contributions first, Roth IRA conversions second, and Roth IRA earnings third.

Roth conversions were taxed for the year of conversion. Because of this, the amount of the conversion is not subject to income tax upon distribution from the Roth IRA.

Roth IRA contributions are not deductible and, as long as requirements are satisfied, qualified distributions of earnings are not taxable.

The only portion of your Roth IRA distribution that may be subject to income tax is the amount of the distribution attributable to earnings. Earnings will not be subject to income tax upon distribution if:

  1. It has been 5 years since your first contribution to any Roth IRA; and
  2. The distribution is made because of at least one of these:
  • Attainment of age 59½
  • Death
  • Disability
  • First-time home purchase ($10,000 lifetime maximum)

Note: Conversions and qualified rollover contributions, while not subject to income tax when distributed, may be subject to a 10% IRS early distribution penalty if a separate five-year requirement is not satisfied. See IRS Form 8606 instructions for information on the rules for determining your taxation. Because all your Roth IRAs must be aggregated, Thrivent Mutual Funds cannot determine the taxable amount of your distribution.

Can losses in my IRA reduce my tax liability?

You may be able to recognize the loss on your income tax return. See IRS Publication 590-A for more information.

*This exemption shall apply to qualified distributions made after December 31, 2019.

The information provided is not intended as a source for tax, legal or accounting advice. Please consult with a legal and/or tax professional for specific information regarding your individual situation.