How to buy mutual funds from Thrivent

We’re delighted you’re considering Thrivent Mutual Funds. No matter how you buy, we’re here to help you invest with confidence.

Buy online through Thrivent Funds

You can open an account and purchase funds right on our site.

Why buy online?

  • Set up an account starting with as little as $50 per month1
  • Access your online account at your convenience.
  • Purchase funds without transaction fees or sales charges.


Buy through a financial professional

Need more guidance? Ask your financial professional about Thrivent Mutual Funds.

Why work with a financial professional?

  • Receive investment help from an experienced professional.
  • Build a relationship through in-person meetings.
  • Get help planning for life’s goals such as saving and retirement.

Additional fees may apply, when working with a financial professional.


Buy through an investment account

Our funds can be purchased through other online brokerage platforms. Search for Thrivent Mutual Funds when making your selections.

Why buy through a brokerage account?

  • Add Thrivent Mutual Funds to investments within your existing portfolio.
  • Take advantage of your account to keep your investments in one place.

Additional fees may apply.


Not quite ready?

We want you to invest your money wisely and with confidence. Here are some other options that may help you.


Need more help?

Call or email us.

M-F, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. CT
Say “mutual funds" for faster service. or,
Visit our support page


New accounts with a minimum investment amount of $50 are offered through the Thrivent Mutual Funds "automatic purchase plan." Otherwise, the minimum initial investment requirement is $2,000 for non-retirement accounts and $1,000 for IRA or tax-deferred accounts, minimum subsequent investment requirement is $50 for all account types. Account minimums for other options vary.

Now leaving


You're about to visit a site that is neither owned nor operated by Thrivent Mutual Funds.

In the interest of protecting your information, we recommend you review the privacy policies at your destination site.

Roth conversions & recharacterizations tax FAQs

What is a Roth conversion?

A Roth conversion is a reportable movement of assets from a traditional/SEP/SIMPLE IRA or employer qualified plan to a Roth IRA. There are two ways a distribution from your company retirement plan/403(b) plan/governmental 457 plan can be moved to a Roth IRA:

  • You can move the distribution directly to a Roth IRA. This type of conversion is referred to as a "qualified rollover contribution."
  • You can roll over the distribution to a traditional IRA and then convert the traditional IRA to a Roth IRA. 

What are the tax implications of my Roth conversion?

All or a portion of the amount you converted may be taxable to you in the year of your Roth conversion. Conversions are taxable in the year the distribution occurred. Use IRS Form 8606 to determine your taxable amount.

What tax forms should I receive related to my Roth conversion?

You should receive Form 1099-R for the distributing traditional/SEP/SIMPLE IRA or employer qualified plan and Form 5498 for the receiving Roth IRA.

Can I recharacterize a traditional or Roth IRA contribution?

Yes. If you made contributions to a traditional or Roth IRA, a recharacterization changes the nature of the contributions. You should report the contributions as if they had been originally made to the IRA to which the contributions were moved. A recharacterization is a trustee-to-trustee transfer of the original contribution plus any related earnings. You cannot recharacterize a Roth conversion.

What is the deadline for completing a recharacterization?

You have until the due date for filing your tax return, including extensions, to recharacterize a contribution. In addition, the IRS allows an automatic six-month extension to elect to recharacterize.

Note: If you recharacterize a contribution made in the previous calendar year, it impacts your tax return even though the recharacterization activity will be reported on the next year's Form 1099-R. You may need to file an amended return if you have already filed your tax return for that year.

How are recharacterizations reported on Forms 1099-R and 5498?

The Roth IRA custodian reports the recharacterization distribution on Form 1099-R, and the traditional IRA custodian reports the same amount on Form 5498.

The information provided is not intended as a source for tax, legal or accounting advice. Please consult with a legal and/or tax professional for specific information regarding your individual situation.