How to buy mutual funds from Thrivent

We’re delighted you’re considering Thrivent Mutual Funds. No matter how you buy, we’re here to help you invest with confidence.

Buy online through Thrivent Funds

You can open an account and purchase funds right on our site.

Why buy online?

  • Set up an account starting with as little as $50 per month1
  • Access your online account at your convenience.
  • Purchase funds without transaction fees or sales charges.


Buy through a financial professional

Need more guidance? Ask your financial professional about Thrivent Mutual Funds.

Why work with a financial professional?

  • Receive investment help from an experienced professional.
  • Build a relationship through in-person meetings.
  • Get help planning for life’s goals such as saving and retirement.

Additional fees may apply, when working with a financial professional.


Buy through an investment account

Our funds can be purchased through other online brokerage platforms. Search for Thrivent Mutual Funds when making your selections.

Why buy through a brokerage account?

  • Add Thrivent Mutual Funds to investments within your existing portfolio.
  • Take advantage of your account to keep your investments in one place.

Additional fees may apply.


Not quite ready?

We want you to invest your money wisely and with confidence. Here are some other options that may help you.


Need more help?

Call or email us.

M-F, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. CT
Say “mutual funds" for faster service. or,
Visit our support page


New accounts with a minimum investment amount of $50 are offered through the Thrivent Mutual Funds "automatic purchase plan." Otherwise, the minimum initial investment requirement is $2,000 for non-retirement accounts and $1,000 for IRA or tax-deferred accounts, minimum subsequent investment requirement is $50 for all account types. Account minimums for other options vary.

Now leaving


You're about to visit a site that is neither owned nor operated by Thrivent Mutual Funds.

In the interest of protecting your information, we recommend you review the privacy policies at your destination site.

General tax FAQs

What do I do if I have an error on my tax form?

Contact Customer Support at 800-847-4836 and say "mutual funds" for faster service if you believe you have an error on your tax form such as:

  • Your social security number is incorrect.
  • You moved and need to update an address.
  • The amount reported on the Form 1099 is incorrect.


Can I invest my tax refund into my Thrivent Mutual Funds account?

Yes. The IRS allows taxpayers to elect to have their federal income tax refunds directly deposited into an account with a bank or other financial institution, including your Thrivent Mutual Funds account.  To encourage saving for retirement, the IRS permits taxpayers to split the refund into multiple (up to three) accounts, including IRAs and Coverdell Education Savings Accounts (CESAs).

Taxpayers electing to directly deposit their federal income tax refund will use IRS Form 1040 (if directing to only one account) or IRS Form 8888 (if splitting refund between two or three different accounts). When directing the federal income tax refund to a Thrivent Mutual Fund account, you should use the following information when completing the election.

  • Routing Number: 011000028
  • Account Number: TF5-0XX-XXXXX or TF5-XXX-XXXXX
  • Account Type: C or Checking

For mutual funds, replace the first 0XX or XXX with your fund account number as it appears on your Mutual Fund Year-End statement. For example, if your fund and account number on your statement is 17-1234567890, then you would indicate TF5-017-1234567890 (if your fund is a three-digit number such as 350-1234567890, then use TF5-350-1234567890) either on IRS Form 1040 or IRS Form 8888.

For direct deposits into an IRA, the contribution will be treated as a current year contribution. If the contribution was received by Thrivent Mutual Funds prior to your tax filing deadline (without regard to extensions), and you want it to be treated as a prior year contribution, you must contact Thrivent Mutual Funds after you receive your transaction confirmation.

The instructions for IRS Form 8888 detail what the IRS will do if the refund is increased or decreased due to a math error or refund offset. If the deposit into one or more of your accounts is changed and the account is subject to contribution limits (such as IRA), you may need to correct your contribution or file an amended return.

The information provided is not intended as a source for tax, legal or accounting advice. Please consult with a legal and/or tax professional for specific information regarding your individual situation.