How to buy mutual funds from Thrivent

We’re delighted you’re considering Thrivent Mutual Funds. No matter how you buy, we’re here to help you invest with confidence.

Buy online through Thrivent Funds

You can open an account and purchase funds right on our site.

Why buy online?

  • Set up an account starting with as little as $50 per month1
  • Access your online account at your convenience.
  • Purchase funds without transaction fees or sales charges.


Buy through a financial professional

Need more guidance? Ask your financial professional about Thrivent Mutual Funds.

Why work with a financial professional?

  • Receive investment help from an experienced professional.
  • Build a relationship through in-person meetings.
  • Get help planning for life’s goals such as saving and retirement.

Additional fees may apply, when working with a financial professional.


Buy through an investment account

Our funds can be purchased through other online brokerage platforms. Search for Thrivent Mutual Funds when making your selections.

Why buy through a brokerage account?

  • Add Thrivent Mutual Funds to investments within your existing portfolio.
  • Take advantage of your account to keep your investments in one place.

Additional fees may apply.


Not quite ready?

We want you to invest your money wisely and with confidence. Here are some other options that may help you.


Need more help?

Call or email us.

M-F, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. CT
Say “” for faster service. or,
Visit our support page


1 New accounts with a minimum investment amount of $50 are offered through the Thrivent Mutual Funds “automatic purchase plan.” Otherwise, the minimum initial investment requirement is $2,000 for non-retirement accounts and $1,000 for IRA or tax-deferred accounts, minimum subsequent investment requirement is $50 for all account types. $50 a month automatic investment does not apply to the Thrivent Money Market Fund or Thrivent Limited Maturity Bond Fund, which have a minimum monthly investment of $100.

Now leaving


You're about to visit a site that is neither owned nor operated by Thrivent Mutual Funds.

In the interest of protecting your information, we recommend you review the privacy policies at your destination site.

Cost basis reporting tax FAQs

If you are looking for general cost basis information, visit the general cost basis FAQ page.


Am I required to use the cost basis information provided by Thrivent Mutual Funds on my tax returns?

If the cost basis information is for covered shares you are required to use when determining your capital gains or losses. Covered shares for mutual funds are those shares purchased or acquired on or after January 1, 2012. You (and the IRS) will receive cost basis information for all of your covered shares on IRS Form 1099-B. You should always use IRS Form 1099-B to complete your tax return for covered shares. Note that information from other sources can affect cost basis, due to adjustments that may occur from other activity in your account.

When available, you may receive cost basis information, either on IRS Form 1099-B or a separate cost basis statement, for non-covered shares purchased prior to the effective date. Cost basis information on non-covered shares will not be provided to the IRS. you can choose to use cost basis information provided on non-covered shares or calculate your cost basis on your own.

How is cost basis used to calculate the gains and losses shown on my Form 1099-B?

The gain or loss shown on your Form 1099-B is the difference between the amount for which the shares were sold and the cost basis of your shares using the elected accounting method.

How does the holding period of the shares I sold affect my taxes?

Holding periods affect the rate at which you are taxed. The holding period is based on the length of time you owned the shares you sold.

  • Short-term (one year or less): Gains are taxed at your ordinary income tax rate.
  • Long-term (more than one year): Gains are taxed at the applicable capital gains rate depending on your tax bracket.

The information provided is not intended as a source for tax, legal or accounting advice. Please consult with a legal and/or tax professional for specific information regarding your individual situation.