Thrivent Mutual Funds’ 2016 Investor Mindset Report is a national study, which focuses on understanding investors’ financial priorities, and provides insights based on location, generation and gender.
Despite a rebound in the U.S. stock market, an increase in hiring and an improvement in home sale prices, many Des Moines millennials are fearful about surviving retirement, according to the 2016 Investor Mindset Report.
Our infographic illustrates key study findings from Des Moines.
Highlights from Thrivent Mutual Funds’ Des Moines survey also reveal that:
- Nearly 40 percent of all Des Moines respondents noted running out of money in retirement as a top concern, compared to the national average of 32 percent.
- Forty-five percent of Des Moines millennials are concerned about running out of money in retirement, compared to the national average of 32 percent. with variation by generation.
- Among Des Moines Gen Xers, 42 percent are concerned about running out of money in retirement, compared to the national average of 37 percent.
- Among Des Moines baby boomers, 31 percent are more concerned about running out of money in retirement compared to the national average of 27 percent.
- Seventy-one percent of Gen Xers and 62 percent of baby boomers have what they consider to be an aggressive investment strategy, while 45 percent of millennials consider themselves to have a more balanced approach.
- Based on gender, 69 percent of men say they have an aggressive investment strategy, compared to women (53 percent).
Read the Investor Mindset Report Executive Summary for more insightsView Report
“Millennials often have a difficult time taking a long-term view with uncertainty around health care costs, pensions and defined benefit plans. That uncertainty can lead them to fear they won’t be able to save enough for retirement.
Biggest Fears as it Relates to Retirement
However, despite those fears, people should be proactive in determining their retirement goals and establishing an investment strategy, in order to feel more comfortable and confident about their retirement plan.”
Online Investment Tools
The Des Moines survey further reveals that local respondents cite they are comfortable using online tools to select and manage investments. The chart below illustrates the results.
Respondent Comfort Level with Using Online Investment Tools
Read The Entire Executive SummaryView Report
Gain From Our Perspective
Get Our Investing Insights Newsletter in Your Inbox.SUBSCRIBE NOW
Gain From Our Perspective
Get Our Investing Insights Newsletter in Your Inbox.
Thanks for Signing Up!
Be sure to check your inbox for the Investing Insights newsletter to get the latest news and insights from Thrivent Mutual Funds.
Great news - you're on the list!
Looks like you're already on our mailing list. Be sure to check your inbox for the Investing Insights newsletter to get the latest news and insights from Thrivent Mutual Funds.